You'd think a professionally trained French cook wouldn't have to agonize over what to cook for dinner?! Au contraire mon frere. I do it every night. I open the fridge. Then I open the freezer. Then I open the cupboards. Then I go back to the fridge and rotate through at least 3 times. My nightly ritual unless something is sitting there on the 2nd shelf greeting me when I open the door. I'd prefer to shop every day or ever 2 days like I did back when I lived you-know-where but I don't have my farmers market across the street 3 days a week, and nor do I have my baker, butcher and fishmonger a block away, but I digress... So what to do on a week night when Heroes is about to come on and no time, patience, nor ingredients to make a full on meal. One of my many tried and true standbys is black bean soup and it's about as easy as it gets.
- 1 can black beans (I love Progresso black beans)
- 1/2 can (1 cup) chicken broth
- plain yogurt
- pine nuts, toasted (or a tad burned as i did tonight - still trying to figure out my electric stove. yes electric! ugh)
- drain can of beans - no need to save the liquid, it's gross imho.
- put beans in a pot on medium high heat and add the broth. bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes (or longer if you want a thicker consistency)
- turn off the heat. blend with an immersion blender or puree in a blender or cuisinart
- garnish with a dollop of plain yogurt and some toasted (not burned!) pine nuts
Bon appetit! Just in time for Heroes :)